- Establish a general field of interest; discuss with supervisor/professor.
- Undertake preliminary and background reading on the subject to be researched with what is known already and to suggest the choice of an appropriate research methodology.
- Narrow your ideas to a workable topic or research proposal and give it a title. Decide on the most appropriate methods of gathering data.
- Preparation of information gathering tools.
- Collation, analysis, and interpretation of research data.
- Write first draft of research project report.
- Revision and re-write dissertation; submit dissertation.
Neville, Collin. Introduction to Research and Research Methods. Effective Learning Advisor, University of Bradford School of Management, 2007. PDF file.