- From about 950 to about 750 bc, are called the Geometric period, a term that refers to a primarily abstract style of pottery decoration of the time.
- The lively, rectilinear meander patterns circling the body of the amphora are typical of Geometric pottery design. Greek Funerary Amphora (800 BC)
Orientalizing Style (c. 700-600 BC)
Click link for more information on Greek vase painting.
- Eastern imports to Greece were plentiful, as were Greek imitations of eastern objects or motifs, and trade with lands to both east and west led to new prosperity for Greece.
- The painting technique used during the period is know as black-figure.
- Patterning still function as a border device, and, as in Orientalizing, the central image is a narrative scene.
- The red figure painting technique was introduced in the late Archaic period and continued through the fourth century BC.
- In addition to increased organic form, the Greek painters of the mid-fifth century BC began to set figures in nature and depict elements of landscape.Calyx Krater depicting Hercules wearing a laurel wreath with Athena and other Greek heroes. (470-445 BC)
- During the late fifth century BC, white-ground painting became popular on lekythoi, which were used as grave dedications.
- The Greek interest in naturalism led to a delight in illusionism and trompe-l'oeil.